Battling Biofilms: Winning the War Against Pressure Injuries
November 17, 2016
Presenter: Gregory Schultz, PhD
- Describe the impact biofilm has on the healing of pressure injuries.
Nutrition & Pressure Injuries: Putting the New Guidelines into Practice
October 6, 2016
Presenter: Mary Litchford, PhD, RDN, LDN
- Examine the undernutrition-malnutrition continuum and the impact of inflammation on risk for skin breakdown
- Describe the National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel (NPUAP) Clinical Practice Guideline specific to nutrition
- Examine innovative nutrition strategies useful in the prevention of pressure injuries
Results of the Staging Consensus Conference
August 25, 2016
Presenter: Laura Edsberg, PhD
- Learners will be able to more effectively identify and stage pressure injuries.
- Attendees will be able to describe changes to the staging system.
Clinical Practice Guideline: Wound Dressings for the Management of Pressure Injuries
June 29, 2016
Presenter: Margaret Goldberg, MSN, RN, CWOCN
- Describe criteria for wound dressing selection from the Clinical Practice Guideline.
Using Devices for Pressure Ulcer Prevention & Treatment
March 30, 2016
Presenters: Evan Call, MS & Joyce Black, PhD, RN, CWCN, FAAN
- Compare and contrast the patient risk factors for pressure ulcer development that match support surface characteristics used for prevention.
- Explain the benefits of the use of low air loss or microclimate management surface, an alternating pressure surface and a continuous low pressure surface for the treatment of pressure ulcers.
- Describe how to determine if a support surface is working.
- Describe how to develop an algorithm for a facility to use support surfaces.
History of Pressure Ulcer and Wound Care: Past, Present & Future
November 19, 2015
Presenter: Jeffrey Levine, MD
- Review the history of pressure ulcers and wound care from ancient times to the present.
- Review the origin of contemporary controversies and challenges.
- Highlight major issues facing today’s practitioner caring for pressure ulcers.
- Listen to what the experts say about the future of pressure ulcers and wound care.
Pressure Ulcer Prevention in Vulnerable Elders
October 1, 2015
Presenters: Steven Antokal, RN, BSN, CWCN, CCCN, DAPWCA & Aimee Garcia, MD, CWS
- Describe the unique aspects of aging skin in a geriatric population.
- Understand the clinical factors that make pressure ulcers more prevalent in the elderly population.
- Identify regulatory guidelines as they pertain to pressure ulcers in different care settings.
Operating Room Ulcers: Who is at Risk? Can They be Prevented?
August 13, 2015
Presenters: Joyce Black, PhD, RN, CWCN, FAAN; Debra Fawcett, PhD, RN & Susan Scott, MSN, RN, CWOCN
- Discuss how to identify O.R. acquired ulcers in your facility
- Identify the risk factors for pressure ulcer development in the O.R.
- Describe interventions to reduce risk during surgery
Reducing Pressure Ulcers from Medical Devices
June 11, 2015
Presenters: Joyce Black, PhD, RN, CWCN, FAAN & Peggy Kalowes, RN, PhD, CNS, FAHA
- Describe the reasons for increasing incidence of medical device pressure ulcers.
- Identify methods to reduce the most common medical device pressure ulcers.
Quality Improvement Frameworks to Implement Evidence-based Practices for Pressure Ulcer Prevention
May 12, 2015
Presenter: William Padula, PhD, MS
Pressure ulcer prevention follows a well-defined set of evidence-based practices. However, the inherent complexity of health care delivery systems makes the consistent implementation of these practices challenging. Quality Improvement offers a framework of improving adherence to evidence-based practices. This presentation will review the types of quality improvement interventions that are commonly used for preventing pressure ulcers. We will also go over work on the comparative effectiveness of quality improvement interventions, and define a best-practice quality improvement strategy for pressure ulcer prevention.