Promote the development and implementation of quality care public policies related to pressure ulcer prevention and management through collaborations with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Office of the Surgeon General, and other federal and state policymaking bodies.
- Become proactive with agencies that drive public policy.
- Partner with others who share issues/interests in PU.
- Establish a method to have consistent and constant contact for public.
- Develop a public face of NPUAP.
- Co-Chair: Aimee Garcia, MD, CWS, FACCWS
- Co-Chair: Sarah Holden-Mount, PT, CWS, FACCWS
Examples of NPUAP’s Active Involvement in Public Policy Include:
- Monthly conference calls related to current topics.
- Participant in CMS open door forums.
- Biannual in person committee meeting at Panel Meeting.
- The NPUAP was invited to present Grand Rounds at CMS headquarters in Baltimore MD on October 20,2015 on the topic of the updated International Guidelines (10/20/2015)
- Assignment of non-covered codes to medical grade honey dressings letter (3/9/2015)
- Algorithms for RAI manual MDS 3.0.
- 2010 Consensus Conference on avoidable pressure ulcers.
- Submitted letter to CMS commenting on five sections of the draft MDS 3.0.
- Submitted comments on NCQA Proposed Quality Standards. Comments addressed three potential measures for adoption by CMS for physician quality measures.
- Submitted comments to CMS on its Medicare Evidentiary Priorities. Their comments utilized for the first time the Guiding Principles for Wound Care Policy as a basis for policy positions presented to a government agency.
- Submitted comments on OASIS C.
- MDS 3.0